These Rocking Raw Raspberry Bars were inspired by a recent trip to the Nelson/Tasman area in the South Island, where the berries are just so abundant, delicious, and sweet. It has become an annual event for our family to go berry picking, always eating our fair share along the way.
My personal favourite of the berries is the raspberry, so tasty and full of antioxidants, vitamin C, as well as being great for the heart health, reducing inflammation, immunity and promoting healthy skin.
These raw raspberry bars were an instant hit when I recently shared them with some visitors, who immediately asked me for the recipe. I hope you enjoy them too.
The ingredients are a bit of an investment for this one but definitely worth it for a special treat.
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 8 dates (medjool or other)
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- 2 Tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- ½ cup of cacao nibs (optional)
- 2 cups of raw cashew nuts (soaked for 1 – 2 hours)
- 2 cups of fresh raspberries (about 2 supermarket punnets)
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of maple syrup (less if you prefer less sweetness)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- You can make your own or use melted dark chocolate.
- To make your own
- 80gms of cacao butter (about ½ a cup)
- ½ cup of raw cacao
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
Soak nuts for the filling for 2 hours
- Add all ingredients to the food processor except for the cacao nibs and blend the mixture until it forms a crumbly base consistency. Add cacao nibs and blend for about 5 seconds more.
- Press mixture into a 24 x 30 cm tray lined with baking paper. Pop it in the freezer until you are ready to make the filling.
- Strain the water off the cashews and add all ingredients (except the raspberries) into the blender. Blend until mixture forms a smooth creamy paste, this could take a few minutes. Add the fresh raspberries and blend until combined.
- Spread the raspberry filling over the base and return it to the freezer for 30 – 60 minutes or until firm.
- Gently melt coconut oil and cacao butter over low heat. Add maple syrup and raw cacao and mix until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for about 10 minutes. Pour chocolate mixture evenly over the raspberry filling and return it to the freezer until the chocolate is set.
- Remove from the fridge and slice with a sharp knife to your desired size.
- Keep the bars either in the freezer for best results.
You can sprinkle (using a sieve) a dusting of cacao on top as a serving suggestion.
Rocking Raw Raspberry Bars